Blog Post 10-VR and AR

Sheila Godfrey

I have never used virtual or augmented reality myself; therefore I do not know the ins and outs of it, so I decided to look into Google Cardboard. I learned that Google Cardboard is not only affordable, but also a fun and simple way to experience virtual reality. In order to enjoy this experience, you will need a smartphone, and a viewer, which is the cardboard that you can fold yourself, or you can order viewers that fit your style, needs, and preferences.

There are literally hundreds of apps that connect with Google Cardboard! For example, I found an app on the Google Play store called, Sites in VR.

This app will allow you to travel to museums in Turkey and France, for example. You can visit tombs, and take a walk through the Eiffel Tower. These are great tools that can be worked into lesson plans.I found an article that provides some classroom ideas such as walking famous streets throughout France for a literature class. Here is a quick video that provides an introduction to Google Cardboard, and a few classroom ideas. I found a great web page that has five different videos about really great virtual reality apps for the classroom. After learning about Google Cardboard, I completely understand the excitement, and I cannot wait to use it in my classroom. It is going to be so much to travel the world with my students, and encounter so many different types of learning opportunities. This is an amazing tool.