Bird’s Eye View – Danielle DeSandis ’12

1. What was your major/field of study during your time at Stockton, and when did you graduate?

I graduated in 2012 with a B.A. in Psychology.

2. Tell us about the type of work you are doing now and how that aligns with your career aspirations.

I do not work at all in the psychology field, but the background has definitely helped me be successful in both of my current careers and the non-profit work that I do. I am the headquarters manager for Atlantic City Mayor Don Guardian’s re-election campaign and the Volunteer Coordinator for Habitat for Humanity of Atlantic County. I do believe having the background in psychology allows me to better connect with people. Everything I do requires connecting and communicating well with everyone, as well as problem solving and conflict resolution.

3. What are some of your favorite Stockton memories—such as a favorite class, professor, spot on campus, or social event?

Professor Lucio Privitello Ph.D. taught a class called “Philosophies of Life and Death.” This was by far my favorite class, the class was spirited and always full of great discussions. The class collaborated and wrote a book, and I still have my copy!

4. How has attending Stockton influenced your life?

Getting my education from Stockton allowed me to stay close to my family, which was extremely important to me at the time. I received an excellent education close to my hometown.

5. What advice would you offer to current Stockton students and other recent graduates?

I have heard the current generation of students aren’t note takers, TAKE NOTES! Hand written, on the computer, it doesn’t matter but take notes!

6. On a personal note, what is your favorite thing to do on your days off?

Days off? I have no days off, but I wouldn’t have it any other way! My passion is to make Atlantic City a place where millennials and younger generations can succeed, grow and live. When I am not at work I am President of the Atlantic City Junior Chamber of Commerce. We provide networking, community service and personal/professional development classes for young professionals and students between the ages of 18-40. Currently our biggest event is co-hosted with AC Weekly, the Top 40 Under 40 every year. Last year we hosted personal and professional development classes such as time management, public speaking and increasing verbal, non-verbal and listening power. We partnered with ACUA and adopted a road. We also have looked to partner with other organizations to provide more community service opportunities to our members.

www.acjuniorchamber.org

I am also a board member of 4ACxAC (For Atlantic City by Atlantic City,) the president of this is Michael Brennan the owner/chief of Cardinal Bistro.

For Atlantic City By Atlantic City was founded with the simple idea of inspiration, Michael had the realization that if you want to see change, and bring life into abandoned baseball fields, foreclosed casinos, vacant lots, condemned store fronts and turn that into a live thriving city with character and history then you have to be that change. Through multiple events and pop-ups 4ACxAC is hoping to raise $30,000 for the Boys and Girls Club of Atlantic City this year. The Boys and Girls Club provides after school activates, meals, access to computers and internet, a library, and also a recreation facility for youth to come to and engage themselves away from bad living situations or less then ideal neighborhoods.

For Atlantic City By Atlantic City is hosting a series of events including the city’s first ever “Pop-up Restaurant”. September 7th 2017. 4ACxAC will be hosting a 7-course meal complete with cocktail pairings, set in the roaring 20’s at Surf Sand Castle Stadium. Tickets for this event are currently on sale! Visit 4ACxAC on Facebook!

7. Do you have anything else you’d like to share?

I am a certified power yoga instructor and Wine and Spirit Education Trust Level 2 wine educator. These are just things I did for fun because yoga and learning about wine and appreciating the complexity of it is fun to me.

Posted in Bird's Eye View