Bird’s Eye View – Cristina Stummer ’98

1. What was your major/field of study during your time at Stockton, and when did you graduate?

I graduated with a degree in Environmental Studies in 1998.

1. Tell us about the type of work you are doing now and how that aligns with your career aspirations.

I am a partner with the law firm of Saul Ewing LLP, practicing environmental law. Upon graduating from Stockton, I attended Vermont Law School, which is ranked nationally for its environmental law program.

1. What are some of your favorite Stockton memories—such as a favorite class, professor, spot on campus, or social event?

While at Stockton, I knew I wanted to be an environmental lawyer, and to be involved in the technical aspects of regulatory compliance.  Influential classes – Claude Epstein’s hydrology class and Mike Hozak’s summer geology field study class, when we hiked the Grand Canyon; I still occasionally look at the photographs and read my field journal. Even the classes taught by adjunct professors were important – from wetlands delineation to the basics of environmental law. Also, I was a member of the Stockton Action Volunteers for the Environment, I wrote for the Argo’s Earth Page, and I participated in Chick Yeager’s Washington DC program, when I worked as an intern in the White House Council for Environmental Quality under the Clinton Administration. Finally, while at Stockton, I learned about the Student Conservation Association, which lead to a summer internship conducting field research in Washington State, and then being a crew leader for inner-city youth in a New Jersey National Park.

1. How has attending Stockton influenced your life?

Stockton changed my life – for the better. While attending the University, there were opportunities to get involved, to find mentors, to develop long-term friendships, and to build a path to personal and professional success.

1. What advice would you offer to current Stockton students and other recent graduates?

While a student, find a mentor and take advantage of every opportunity to network to develop your interviewing, public speaking and writing skills. Every Stockton graduate can be your next business partner, your next referral, your next social justice leader or your next Congress person. After graduation, maintain your contacts and build your network. And keep Stockton on your list of donations, because the Stockton alumni who are up and coming, need to be fostered and provided the same opportunities to maximize their potential to make a positive difference in New Jersey, nationally and globally!

1. On a personal note, what is your favorite thing to do on your days off?

To enjoy New Jersey’s great outdoors with a hike, bike ride, or a stroll along the beach.

1. Do you have anything else you’d like to share?

Stockton University is where dreams are made, fostered and become realities. I am a proud Osprey, and am grateful, each day, for the chance that I received to attend Stockton, and then ultimately to be a proud alumna of the University upon graduation! Go Ospreys!

http://www.saul.com/attorneys/cristina-stummer

Posted in Bird's Eye View