Five Time All-American Jared Lewis: Only a Hop, Skip and a Jump Away from University Record

Jared Lewis, a Hospitality & Tourism Management major at Stockton University, earned his fourth and fifth All-American titles in only two years of collegiate competition at the 2016 NCAA Division III Outdoor Track & Field Championships. He is one title away from the university record.

Lewis finished eighth in the nation in the long jump with a leap of 7.02 meters, and placed second in the nation with a new personal best of 15.42 meters in the triple jump. In track & field, the All-American honor is awarded to athletes who finish in the top eight at the national championship meet, held this year at Wartburg College’s (Iowa) Walston-Hoover Stadium.

Lewis chose to attend Stockton because the university offered the opportunity to pursue goals both inside the classroom and on the track at the Division III level.

“Stockton felt like the best fit for me to study hospitality and still jump competitively,” he said.

Jared Lewis

Jared Lewis

Lewis aspires to one day become an event planner at a major corporation, and takes courses in hospitality management.

The stellar student-athlete’s dream job, however, is head track & field coach at a Division I university.

“I would love to land a head coaching job at a university. If not, I will continue to follow my dreams in hospitality,” said Lewis, who interns at Atlantic City Your Way, a company that plans Atlantic City vacation packages. “The internship is a great opportunity to network and I’m hoping this will open the door to more opportunities.”

Outside of Stockton, Lewis volunteers at Deptford High School, his alma mater, assistant coaching athletes, teaching jumping techniques and encouraging students to attend college.

“I am very passionate about helping my friends, and others from my community, focus on making it to college,” he said.

In between classes and his internship, Lewis trains daily on the track or in the weight room and his hard work pays off.

JaredLewis4

The incoming junior has two more years of eligibility to potentially tie or break Stockton’s record of six All-American titles, which was set by Paul Klemic in 2005-06. Lewis is currently tied for second in Stockton men’s track & field history with five All-Americans, along with Mike Mielke (1984-86) and Leland Griffin (1992-94), both of whom are in the Stockton Athletics Hall of Fame with Klemic.

“I am really excited to be put in the position to break the university record,” Lewis said. “I always hear my coaches and others talk about how good Paul Klemic was, and to be put in the same conversation with him is a blessing.”

At the end of his sophomore year, Lewis was named New Jersey Athletic Conference (NJAC) Male Athlete of the Year, the first Stockton student-athlete to be selected since 2002.

In addition to his All-Americans and Stockton Male Athlete of the Year award, in the 2015-16 competition year alone, Lewis won four NJAC championship titles and a total of nine events; collected four NJAC First Team honors; earned 11 NJAC Field Athlete of the Week awards; received All-Region honors for both the indoor and outdoor seasons from the U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association; received NJAC All-Academic Honorable Mention; and was voted NJAC Most Outstanding Athlete for both the indoor and outdoor seasons.

Lewis was also named a 2016 Arthur Ashe Jr. Sports Scholar, an academic honor given to student-athletes of color by the publication Diverse: Issues in Higher Education.

JaredLewis5

In his rookie season, he received NJAC Rookie of the Week honors eight times and Eastern College Athletic Conference Rookie of the Week honors six times, among other institute, conference, regional and national titles.

Lewis, originally of Deptford, N.J., credits Stockton coaches Jayson Resch and Todd Curll, and his teammates, for his and the team’s success during his first two years of competition.

“[Their] efforts are what make for a great program. I am blessed to have this experience and the opportunity to be a part of the Stockton community,” he said. “It’s a tough lifestyle to live when you base your days around track. However, it’s a lifestyle I love to live, and I wouldn’t trade it for anything.”

Jared Lewis with Coach Todd Curll

Jared Lewis with Coach Todd Curll