Patton Solowey Adds Value to His Business Studies Major Through Experiences with Student Senate, SASI Board and Campus Engagement

Patton Solowey took business, marketing and accounting classes beginning in high school and competed in regional, state and international marketing communications competitions.

These early experiences “quickly showed me what my calling was, and it was definitely working in business and finance,” the Franklinville, N.J. native explained.

Now, as a junior Business Studies major and a Student Senate Finance Committee member at Stockton University, he is managing more than $650,000 in student activity fee money, which is distributed to more than 80 clubs and organizations.

“Having the honor to serve on the Student Senate is an amazing experience and pleasure. I look forward to every meeting to work and strive to do the best I can for an institution that I truly believe in,” he explained.

“Specifically, being on the Finance Committee has taught me discipline and fiscal responsibility. I’m understanding the weight of my decisions and the responsibility I have,” he added.

Solowey has been exposed to the financial operations of the institution as a voting student representative on the Stockton Affiliated Services, Incorporated (SASI) Board of Directors. SASI works to create innovative business solutions, provides housing for graduate students, faculty and staff and is responsible for transportation, safety and dining services, as well as the campus bookstores.

This leadership role has “augmented my academic and professional career,” he said.

“Working closely with Charles Ingram, the vice president of Administration and Finance, Interim President Harvey Kesselman and every other board member helps me connect and learn,” he added.

Solowey is treasurer of Alpha Lambda Delta, business advertisement manager for the Argo, Stockton’s student-run newspaper, and a member of the Economics Society, Billiards Club, Rotaract and intramural sports.

He graduated in the top 10 in his class at Delsea Regional High School and continues to rise to the top academically as a dean’s list student.

He credits his parents with helping him to succeed. “Whether it was school, sports, or being there whenever I needed them, I knew that I could always look to them for support in any situation,” he said.

“My brothers, the rest of my family, as well as my amazing friends have been a steady and supportive system. Undoubtedly, without my parents, brothers, and my best friend, I would not be the same person I am today, and I thank them and appreciate them every day,” he explained.

Graduate school and then the financial industry are the next destinations on his itinerary.

Each day brings new opportunities, says Solowey. Building relationships and becoming a part of the university community has been an exhilarating experience, he added.

His message to all students is to “go out and get involved on campus. I couldn’t imagine being here and not devoting almost all of my time to this institution and my own professional development. Stockton has so many amazing things to offer: hundreds of clubs, some of the friendliest students and an exceptional staff.”