Hughes Center Scholarship Winner Damien Salamacha Plans to Pursue Public Policy Work

Damien Salamacha, a Political Science major at Stockton, is enjoying working as a public policy intern in Washington, D.C. this semester.

“My internship is at the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC),” said Salamacha, a 23-year-old senior from Hamilton Township in Mercer County, NJ. “ALEC is a nonpartisan public-private partnership of America’s state legislators, members of the private sector and the general public who work to advance limited government, free markets, and federalism at the state level.”

“I am getting a lot of valuable experience,” Salamacha said about his work on the tax and fiscal task force and the education task force. “It feels great to be in a professional environment.  This experience has enabled me to get a better understanding of my strengths and weaknesses.”

Damien has been awarded a $1,000 scholarship by the William J. Hughes Center for Public Policy. The Hughes Center scholarship helps defray the cost of living in the nation’s capital, making it possible for students to participate in internships, said Daniel J. Douglas, executive director.

Damien Salamacha - Hughes scholarship

Damien Salamacha

Stockton College’s Washington, D.C. Internship program is an intensive para- professional and academic experience in which Stockton students live, work, and study in the Washington, D.C., metropolitan region. Stockton is affiliated with the nation’s largest internship organization, The Washington Center (TWC) for Internships and Academic Seminars.

When he’s not working, Damien said he likes “to work out, occasionally play hockey and read Austrian economic books in my spare time.”

Salamacha, who has spent past summers as a lifeguard in Wildwood, plans to pursue public policy work or possibly go to law school after graduation this May.

“I really like the public policy type work that I am currently doing at my internship,” he said.