Kendal Nicole Lambert Pursues PR to Promote Healthy Living

She already has the name of her public relations firm picked out: KNL, Inc.

Kendal Nicole Lambert sees herself running a NYC-based national public relations agency for health and fitness companies. The name stands for her initials, of course.

The freshman from Linden, in Union County, is majoring in Communications with a concentration in Public Relations. She is a member of the Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA) chapter at Stockton and will serve on the executive board next fall.

kendal lambert at stockton

“I love writing,” she said. “Words are the easiest way I know how to express myself. It’s been one of my strengths since grade school and I realized my knack for it in eighth grade and wanted to perfect this skill. Journalism and creative nonfiction spark my interest the most.”

“I am passionate about living a healthy lifestyle through regular exercise and eating right to have a balanced well-being,” she continued.” “I motivated my best friend and father to join a gym with me this past summer and it was one of the most fulfilling tasks I have done in my life so far. I have also encouraged my floor mates this semester to understand the importance of being healthy.”

Her goal of starting a p.r. firm for the fitness industry “weaves passion with profession,” she said. “The idea behind this company will serve for consumer wellness, supporting clients such as freelance Zumba instructors or athletic trainers, small-scale fitness centers and farmers’ markets that sell fresh produce.”

From her involvement with PRSSA and her interest in healthy lifestyle choices, she said she is actively pursuing related internships.

To increase her skills in writing, she joined The Argo as a staff writer. “I also dipped my feet into Stockton Student Television (SSTV) Channel 14 News,” Kendal said. “This show is student-produced and I am their newest anchorwoman, delivering the Weather Report each week.”

With all of the activities she juggles at school, she said, “I make it a priority to maintain high academic standards in each of my courses. I have made the Dean’s List, getting A’s in all of my courses and ending the semester with a 4.0 GPA.”

Kendal said she’s also a strong advocate for Community Service.

“Back home I used to volunteer at a local senior citizen assisted-living complex and gave computer lessons to the elderly. I helped them learn the basic internet, typing skills, navigate email and Facebook. I connected with the seniors on a personal level.

“I never thought I would enjoy so much, the conversations and learning experience I’ve shared with my senior citizens,” she said.

She’s become a believer in taking steps outside one’s comfort zone.

“I used to not enjoy going on vacations when I was younger,” Kendal explained. “Now that I am away from home and have ventured out to Philadelphia a few times, my eyes have been opened to a broader world. I now have the zest to see new places. I plan on traveling abroad in my upperclassmen years to Europe.”

As advice to fellow freshmen, Kendal says, “Meet new people. There are so many opportunities at Stockton to socialize with different groups of people and it is up to the individual to go seek them. It’s not about who you know, but about who knows you.

“Make a personal connection to at least one of your professors each semester,” she continued. “They are your teachers, there for academic guidance. They can also eventually become networking facilitators when you are seeking an internship. They can also be a friend, when you need advice. The professors and faculty at Stockton genuinely want to help their students pursue their goals, and enrich their college experience. “

“You have to go after what you want, be proactive at every opportunity afforded to you,” she said. “Even freshmen, when properly nurtured and guided, are capable of great things; it’s just the beginning.”

Follow Kendal on Twitter @KendalFire_