Stockton Students Volunteer Time to Set Up Computer Lab in Philadelphia Elementary School

Stephanie Medvetz and Mathew Moran, students in Dr. Joseph Trout’s Scientific Inquiry course, went above and beyond recently to help set up a computer lab in a Philadelphia elementary school.

The whole class has adopted St. Francis Xavier, a preK-8th grade school in the Fairmount section, as a Service-Learning project. Students are providing computer aid and research to help the school get grants and much of the work is done remotely.

portraits

But on Oct. 17, Medvetz, a junior in the Criminal Justice Program with a concentration in Forensic Psychology, and Mathew Moran, a Physics/Pre-Engineering major, went to the school with Dr. Trout.

“In four hours, these two students, working under the direction of the computer instructor, Frances Koons, assembled 28 computers and a printer,” said Dr. Trout.  “No small feat, since the computers were still in the boxes in a room in the opposite end of the school.  They also installed the software needed on the computers.  In those four hours I never heard a complaint from either of them.  In fact, all they kept repeating was, ‘What can I do next?’ ” Dr. Trout said.

“There is still a little work to do, such as networking the computers, but these two students brought the lab into working order,” he said. “They really made Stockton proud.”

Medvetz, who is from Woodbridge in Middlesex County, said, “I learned that a simple act can go a long way. Taking a few hours out of the semester to help the school was very rewarding.”

“Throughout the day, many students passed with big smiles on their face, saying how excited they were to have a new computer lab,” she said. “I am proud to be a Stockton student and be given opportunities to take part in activities such as this.”

Moran, who is from Pennsville, in Salem County, said, “I’m just happy I could help set up the computer lab for the kids and I hope it helps them in their schooling.”

He is a junior in the Physics/Pre-Engineering program and a member of the college chapter of WaterWatch, which works to educate the campus and community about the impacts of development on water quality.

“My big goal for the future is to eventually design and build prosthetics for people,” Moran said.

Medvetz’s future goals are to obtain her master’s degree in Criminal Justice through Stockton’s Dual Degree program, which allows students to earn both their bachelor‘s and master’s in five years. She also plans to earn Substance Abuse Certification.

Computer lab ii

“I hope to work with criminal offenders with substance abuse problems and successfully rehabilitate and reintegrate them back into society,” she said.

She is also a CARE Program Peer Mentor, historian for Alpha Lambda Delta National Honor Society, and a member of Golden Key International Honor Society.

“As for volunteering, I am an active participant in Relay for Life,” Medvetz said. “I am also an active participant and team captain for the City of Hope Michelle Offsie Memorial Walk (in Edison, NJ.) “My team, Team Espoir, has raised thousands of dollars for breast cancer research and awareness.”