NORAD Recognizes Instructional Technology Student for Best Practice in Responding to National Security Threats

Senior Master Sergeant William Perkins, a superintendent of the 177th Fighter Wing Command Post based at Atlantic City International Airport in Egg Harbor Township, NJ, applied his instructional design skills learned through Stockton’s Master of Arts in Instructional Technology (MAIT) program to enhance his work for the United States Air Force.

Perkins developed a concept map detailing the steps administrators should take when responding to a national security threat. The North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD) recently inspected his ability to facilitate the Aerospace Control Alert (ACA) mission, which is the rapid response against airborne attack.

image

“They test me with a scenario that triggers different agencies on my base to respond to a national security threat, which we then take an air defense posture to mitigate,” he explained.

NORAD awarded Perkins a “Best Practice” for his consolidation of procedures into a concept map and will standardize his creation across much of the air defense community. Perkins was assigned to create additional concept maps for other units.

“I couldn’t have accomplished this without being a student in the MAIT program,” he explained.

In an email to Dr. Amy Ackerman, associate professor of Instructional Technology at Stockton College, Perkins wrote, “I just wanted to thank you for enhancing my abilities and making me more of an asset to my Unit, the air defense community, and the USAF.”