Suicide Awareness Walk

On the first of October, light path of Stockton University was filled with students from several organizations to raise awareness of suicide. The event was heavily contributed by Stockton’s Wellness Center while our director of residential life, Pedro Santana, delivered a provoking speech about the crushing effects of suicide on families, friends, and loved ones.

Ribbons were handed out for people and walkers to support the cause

Santana explained the importance of receiving help from people whom you trust, whether that may be family, friends, or the Wellness Center’s employees. After the opening remarks and brief monologue, the walk began. I started the walk near the front with the rest of the Stockton collegiate men’s soccer team. Although we were not represented in entirety, we were thankful and honored for the privilege to take part in such an eye-opening experience. For myself, I relearned the signs and symptoms of how people might be thinking about suicide. I realized the importance of admitting that there may be a problem in someone else’s life. During the walk, I really loved the candles on the sides of light path that represented the lives lost to suicide. Seeing each one reminded me how crucial it is to love and encourage everyone we are around. Presenting an open attitude and a smile can change someone’s minute, day, or even life. It reminded me of a verse in the Bible, 1 Corinthians 16:14, which says, “let all that you do be done in love.” I think the message of the suicide walk was to not just raise awareness of a growing topic but also alter lives of people walking. To change these numbers of suicide rates, we must learn to walk and grow into a way that is more loving.

I enjoyed Stockton’s Suicide Prevention walk because it was not only informative, but it gave me another perspective about life. I know people are struggling and I know there is a desperate need to love. The main message I could take away was that you never know who may be hurting deep inside, so just in case, love everybody you see and meet. Sometimes changing lives can be as simple as a nice smile.