M.L.K. Day of Service

The day before winter break ended, on January 16, and before the dreaded course work was thrown onto us again, Stockton University held a Day of Service in memory of Martin Luther King who committed his life to helping others. The event was held in the Campus Center Event Room and began with a series of speakers before the large group of eager volunteers was sectioned off into different service events hosted by a diversity of clubs and organizations. At first, my friend and I joined a group that assisted with tutoring prison inmates in basic schooling such as algebra in order to help them receive their educational goals. However, after realizing that this required a lengthy application process instead of being able to volunteer on the spot, we switched over to Books without Borders where we were able to assist with the transportation and organization of books which would be sent to Zimbabwe.

By being hands-on with the service, I was able to directly view its impact. After the service projects had all ended, we were all given a brief reflection session as well as a shirt/scarf!

I would recommend doing this event to anyone who wishes to serve their community and greater good of society.