Rice, Grains, and More Rice

Rice and grains

I am relieving the pain

Of hunger.

Third world countries suffer

And I serve as the buffer

This short poem describes the following: On September 10, 2016, from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. in the downstairs B-C atrium, the Stockton students and I were able to provide hundreds of food packages to individuals and families in need. The package included vitamins, protein grains, and rice grains. There were three different stations: one packaged the vitamins and grains, the next poured in rice and weighed the bag to a certain amount of grams, and the last sealed the bag. This drill was repeated again and again and successfully completed. After a checkpoint number of bags, a bell was rung to remind the volunteer of how many bags were completed and how many were left. This lasted for approximately one hour before the groups of volunteers shifted onto the next rotation; however, since my friends and I enjoyed this activity so much, we chose to come back to the rice packages for round two. We were able to bond and serve a practical purpose for the community with this encouraging activity. The event was well organized and many others seemed to appreciate donating their time early on Saturday morning as much as I did. Often, volunteering carries a negative connotation and causes people to stray away from it; nonetheless, the impact it creates is large and just on that one day, the Stockton students and faculty were able to donate such a large amount with a minimal amount of time.

Rather than any particular clubs or organizations establish such an event, the university itself took a large role in organizing the activity and encouraging a large turnout. For the almost 8 hours of service, there was the given incentive of a Stockton lunch which, as always, consisted of sandwiches and wraps, accommodating all food needs. For attending the event, students also received a t-shirt and I still see some of my friends wearing it today. I hope that this event encouraged my fellow students as much as it did to spend their time for someone other than themselves. I would recommend this event to any student, regardless of their class or age. The chance to socialize over a useful event was advantageous for all the participants.

In summation, the Day of Service highlighted that the school which we attend looks out for the best intentions of its students as well as other persons. The liberal arts college has its own real life applications and events like these may only occur every once in a while making it all more essential to attend the activities. If anything, these hours can be collected and added to a resume which will boost a student’s chances of being hired to a professional job or being accepted to graduate school. Volunteering has so many added benefits, so one might as well try it out.