Soar Not What I Expected

The anticipation nearly killed me as I waited for the email from the T.A.L.O.N.s. (The Activity Leaders of New Students). The decision would either allow me to embark upon the 3-day, 2-night trip or simply remain at home and anticipate the upcoming days of school. Although I sent in my application only two weeks after the portal opened, I was already placed on the wait list for simply the girls’ cabins and number eleven on the list. Therefore, the email which confirmed that I had been taken off the wait list was a great relief; the opportunity to bond with prospective Stockton students and indulge myself in outdoors activities was already exciting an idea in itself. As I was packing the night before, I shoved clothes upon clothes into my suitcase without thinking twice; throwing in apparel which I was aware would serve no purpose, just an idiosyncrasy. The next day, Tuesday, August 30th arrived and check-in time was 11:30 a.m. for the commuters at least. Upon reaching there, I was already lost by the campus center parking lot and much to my relief; I was able to meet up with my best friend, Krysten, and her family. The day began with sign-in and the placement into a “tribe” as designated by a color. Purple.

After the lunch, we were allowed to meet with our tribes, a quick goodbye to my honors friends and a warm hello to new ones. The buses quickly began to load and the last goodbyes were given off to our families. During the wait between the loading of the camping bags and the humans, a few icebreakers were played, the usual game of “ships and sailors”, “memory games”, and so much more. As interesting as they were, when the cue was finally given to load the bus, we all breathed some relief and of course, there were more riddles on the bus-ride to our destination, Camp Ockanickon in Medford, New Jersey. Although they were all equally fascinating, the one which stuck out the most was the Stick Game. Spoiler: Listen to the directions of the game as they explain, this will save you SO much frustration, oh trust me. A girl/ boy scouts will fare well in this event with these mind-toggling games and activities. Upon arrival at the camp, there was unpacking and assembly into the tribes. The cabins were either indoors and equipped with central air as well as personal showers or outdoors with the typical camping features; I was blessed with the former. Outside of the 8-10 cabins or so, there was a large pit where all members could collect and rejoice over bonding songs and the distinguished clap. I will spare you the detailed instructions on how to do this clap and let you imagine a large group of college students unanimously creating music with their hands and simultaneously ending with a “hiyah”.

Onwards, the food was simply amazing despite the complaints from those who expected five-star meals for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Personally, the dessert was always great to look forward to. The system which was set up by the group was established with great organization in which one tribe would set up, serve, and clean up a meal for an assigned number of students for one meal of the day. Each tribe would cover one meal and therefore, each group would go once; there were 7 tribes in total. The night ended early for an even earlier morning and a day full of group activities, personal feats, as well as a free recreational period to swim, canoe, nap, etc. The liberty with this program truly astounded me and reminded me of the independence which everyday college students are provided.  The activities were both outdoors and indoors and the night ended with more free time to explore the area or remain inside the activities building and partake in  board games or pool. The following day, also the last, the day followed a similar routine and included outdoors ropes as well the activity of performing a skit with the tribe. There was a bonfire to end the camping adventure and the air was filled with great memories, amazing relationships with friends, and a mutual feeling of appreciation for one another. The buses were loaded and we arrived around 10 p.m. on Thursday, September 1st; yet, there was simply a different feel to the group than had been originally when beginning the trip.

Without a blink, I would recommend any friend to join S.O.A.R. and do so as soon as applications open. Even with the details of the adventure from start to finish, there are some experiences which simply cannot be explained.