“Shoot Fast, Speak Easy”

On Saturday, April 23rd, I filmed my second short film with SSTV.  Entitled “Shoot Fast, Speak Easy,” it was for my Honors Literature and Society class, which focuses on 1920s literature and culture.

When I tell people on campus about SSTV, many of them are surprised.  Hardly anyone on campus knows about it, which is truly a shame, as SSTV provides great opportunities to ALL students, not just communication majors.  For instance, they:

• loan cameras and equipment out to students
  • help students film and edit movies for class and for fun
  • produce several shows including Stockton News, Latino Motion, and Skeleton Scripts
  • teach students how to use editing software
  • give students opportunities to work as crew on different shoots

In fact, I only stumbled upon SSTV by chance.  My friend Mary said there was a Theater Club meeting in the upstairs Campus Center.  I happened to get out of class early that day, so I thought, why not?  The Theater Club meeting was being held in the SSTV office to plan “Skeleton Scripts:” I am now a member of the cast.  I wrote a blog about filming the pilot last semester.

Anyway, back to my film. SSTV was great – there were four people on crew, and they provided a DSLR camera, tripods, a boom mike, and lights.  They are always super helpful, and give me feedback on scenes, dialogue, and more as we go along.  The shoot lasted about four hours.

I am currently editing my film, something I really love doing.  Editing is really one of my passions!  It’s nice having the other SSTV members there to give me guidance while I work, and they’re loads of fun to be around!

I can’t wait to be more involved with SSTV next semester!