Blog 13: Yoga

For the past two weeks I have attended the Thursday yoga class sponsored by the Wellness Center. This class is held every Thursday in the TRLC from 6:30 to 7:30. This is a free class opened to all Stockton students.

I went to my first class without a mat, but luckily the instructor had a few extra ones for people like me. If anyone is planning on attending a yoga class I suggest bringing your own mat, as mats are limited.

We started both classes with the Tibetan Five Rites. This exercise consists of five poses and quickly raises your heartbeat. The instructor told us to try to do the Five Rites every day as it is a quick exercise that will gradually make your body stronger.

In the first yoga class I went to, we did a form of yoga that is meant to make you sweat. The poses were challenging for me, and at times it felt like I was in an aerobics class. By the end of the class I was definitely sweating. However, there were still several times when we were doing poses and staying in them for a while. My favorite pose was heart bench. In this pose, you place one foam block between your shoulder blades and one under your head. Then you lie still for several minutes. This pose felt great for my back.

In the second class that I went to, we did Yin Yoga. This form of yoga is intended to channel your connecting tissue. It is done by getting into a pose and then releasing all of the tension in your body. Once you are in the pose with no tension, you stay still for several minutes. By the end of the class I felt relaxed, my body felt stretched, and it was just wonderful overall.

I would recommend this yoga class to anyone interested in the free fitness classes offered by Stockton.