Petsmart Puppies!

On Saturday, November 17th, Circle K invited students to volunteer at the local Petsmart from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Our responsibility was to help the Beagle Rescue socialize their dogs with people, and provide them with increased stimuli. The dogs were extremely receptive to human contact and were pleased to have hours of attention. As volunteers, we conversed with potential adopters who had come over to see the dogs. We also worked to attract attention to the rescue, and hopefully provide these animals with forever homes.

Although the dogs were all beagles, they were extremely unique and independent. There were dominant dogs that howled throughout the event and others that remained quiet and introverted. The most profound aspect of the experience was meeting two crippled dogs, each with perpetual energy. Bonnie was born with a mutation of her front legs. This prevented her from walking on her paws; rather she began to depend on her elbows. Instead of remaining helpless, two year old Bonnie learned to walk and became quite active and capable of moving. In fact, I found myself being dragged around the room by her at times. Another dog that impacted me was a beagle with only three legs. One had been surgically removed, while the other back leg was hyperextended. This prevented walking. Despite this setback, the beagle was extremely full of life, momentum, and strength. She was able to wheel around the room on a dog cart, and greet individuals with her lively presence. These two dogs had overcome insurmountable difficulties and had defied expectations. Seeing these miracles in person made me both empathetic and humbled. Another dog named Jersey Girl had been surrendered that morning, and was already looking for a new home. I felt extremely sorry for the animal, which had spent most of her life in a crate. She was filled with love and patience, and would fit in perfectly to any family.

I am extremely pleased with my decision to volunteer with the Beagle Rescue. Before going to Petsmart, I had not known what to expect and was quite apprehensive. For eighteen years, I have struggled with intense allergies, primarily to dogs and cats. Therefore, I was reluctant to spend time with animals that could potentially give me an allergy attack. Ignoring my fears, however, I decided to take advantage of the great opportunity.  This day reminded me of my passion for volunteering. I will now search for additional opportunities with animals and wildlife, and may pursue a volunteer position in a no-kill shelter.