The life of a tutor

This is a blog about what it’s like to be a math and science tutor at the tutoring center in J-wing, the process involved with applying and what tutor training is like.
First things first, to be a math or science tutor, you have to have a passion for the subjects and be interested in helping other understand some of the complex ideas involved with these subjects. You do not have to know both math and science. We have all sorts of tutors involved with their own specialties. For example, I’m mostly a science tutor but I help out with math when I can, however there are people at the tutoring center that are far more qualified to help with math than me. The tutoring center is one of the friendliest environments at Stockton. Everyone is nice and willing to help. If you’re interested you have to talk to Luis Pena and ask for an application. Then there is an interview process and if you do well you’ll be hired.
Your first semester you will be working as well as going through tutor training. Tutor training is the most fun training you’ll ever have in your life. We talk about big issues that come up, do role play, draw and when you’re done you get to some arts and crafts. I’m going to keep this vague because I don’t want to give away the surprises of tutor training. But it’s not hard at all, its just fun. Meanwhile you get to start working at the tutoring center and you are paid. They are very flexible around your hours and I say that because I had a very filled schedule and they still managed to work around my schedule and give me the hours I needed. I think that’s a very important quality that they are willing to work with you rather than against you because it creates a comfortable and nice environment to work in. I personally love being a tutor and I would recommend it to anyone who is interested in helping others. Some of the subjects we tutor include all levels of chemistry and biology, a whole ton of math and computer science, including statistics and business and economics related things. So stop in, we’re all the way at the end of lower J-wing.