Categories
Data Sets Visualization Tools

Lollipop Chart

This week we all created lollipop charts. While looking online for different explanations on how to make a lollipop chart, I came across a really easy one. It did not explain the steps clearly towards the end but I figured it out with the textbook for the last few steps. Compared to the textbook this website: excelk.com went straight to the end product in a few steps.

A lollipop chart is just like a bar graph, but easier to follow when you need to display a large number of values and when those values are high. This type of chart is also more appealing to look at.

For my data set, I was looking through the CDC website and came across Depression in the US Household Population. They had graphs displaying the percentage of symptoms persons of ages 12+ with depression. I picked to use race and ethnicity as my x-axis vs gender, and ages. But also the PDF form which included the data set.

I will say this lollipop graph was pretty easy to make thanks to the website I used. The only problem I came across is trying to change the colors on each of the x-axes ( I wanted no symptom, mild, moderate, and severe on the graph to have their own color to better distinguish the severities.) I also wanted to add data labels, but I could not figure out how to.

This graph shows persons of ages 12 and over by the severity of depressive symptoms and their race and Hispanic origin in the US, 2009-2012.