TV Show In Another Language

Hi Everybody!

This week I am going to be talking about my experience watching a TV show in another language with English subtitles.

I watched the first episode of Extr@ which is a Spanish speaking TV show that looks as if it is directed towards teens which grabbed my attention right away.

Lola and Ana are two girls who live together in a small apartment and are friends with a boy named Pablo who lives in the same building. Lola just got out of a relationship and Pablo has a crush on Ana but it doesn’t seem as though Ana is interested. In the episode, Lola gets a letter from her old pen-pal from America named Sam. Once Sam comes to visit Lola in Spain you learn the girls are actually kind of boy crazy like the stereotypical teenage girl is. Pablo tries to get the girls to not like Sam until he finds out Sam comes from one of the richest families in America. The show reminded me a lot of how a college apartment would be here in America, which was kind of cool to see the similarities between.

When I first realized that I was going to have to view a TV show in another language I thought I was going to be lost and annoyed. I was pleasantly surprised when that was not the case when I watched Extr@. I think it had a lot to do with the subtitles because they were able to keep me informed and interested in the show. All in all, I enjoyed watching the show enough to want to watch more episodes at a later time even though the show is not in English.

Link to the episode mentioned: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcwp8_dhgCU